Monday, April 12, 2010

When I woke up this morning, the day belonged to me

I woke up this morning, and Kryptonite was online, so I messaged him and asked if he wanted to ride downtown together, as I had some stuff to hand in. I was somewhat late getting to the streetcar stop, so I thought I'd missed him, but he showed up with a hot chocolate for me that he'd bought while he waited.

The trees have little green pom poms on all the tips of their branches.

Bulbs are blooming all over the place, bright splashes of rich green leaves and happy flowers.

A man with two ferrets on leashes entered the subway at the same time as me.

Raccoons that wander about my backyard, digging in the dirt, climbing trees, and smelling their hands like wollen teddies.

I find little notes of things my prof said that I thought were funny scrawled across the top of my lecture notes:
"I don't know what the function of parties are. I like to have conversations in depth and parties make that very difficult."
"He ran the roman empire. You try to run the roman empire." (raises eyebrows).
"Tell them you're allergic to placebos."


"When I opened my eyes this morning,
The day belonged to me.
The sky was mine and the sun,
And my feet got up dancing.
The marmalade was mine and the squares of the sidewalk
And all the birds in the trees.
So I stood and I considered
Stopping the world right there,
Making today go on and on forever.
But I decided not to.
I let the world spin on and I went to school.
I almost did it, but then, I said to myself,
'Who knows what you might be missing tomorrow?'"
~Jean Little

2 comments:

Filly said...

What a lovely post! I'm so excited to see you soon Embrella. (P.S. Get any postcards lately?)

Emberella Cat said...

I did this morning! It made me smile indeed :)