Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Well, I do feel happy

I find this story funny because of how mixed up language and homophobia and people can be:

One incident that I remember particularly well: I was out as gay to my whole fifth-period class, though not to much anybody else at the time, and everyone in the class thought I was a lesbian except one kid, who thought I was a guy. And one day in my hearing he said, sort of jesting-like, 'You fag!' to a classmate who had just done or said something a little stupid, and then hastily added 'Not you,' when I shot him a disapproving look. And that just seemed completely backwards to me - I'd rather be jokingly called a fag for being gay than see someone else being jokingly called a fag for acting stupid.
~MacAvity

Nothing ever makes too much sense, and people are so often nice and confused and rude all at the same time. What better reaction than to laugh?

No comments: